DIY Cafe Cornbread Mix
Next on the list of mixes is cornbread. I realized over the years that I like my cornbread to be a little more cake-like after having experimented with recipes that included boxes of cornbread mix and yellow cake mix. Some of those ended up being too sweet–I couldn’t even justify calling it cornbread. They were yellow cake without icing. I like yellow cake, just not with chili. So, this recipe is a hybrid–a good cornbread recipe with a hint of sweetness.
I am suffering from a little bit of a hand cramp right now after entering the ingredient comparison. Using the box mixes results in 39 ingredients–I think I removed all duplicates to keep the list “shorter”, but could have missed one due to sheer disbelief. Homemade has 10 ingredients and does not give me hand cramps, which is apparently something that should be considered when evaluating food choices……
THE RECIPE: DIY Cafe Cornbread Mix
Makes 3 batches, 8-9 servings each
3 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups cornmeal (I use whole grain, pulsed in the food processor to make it smoother)
1.5 cups sugar
3 Tbs baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
1. Mix ingredients together and store in an air tight container.
THE RECIPE: Cafe Cornbread
Makes 8-9 servings, depending on pan choice
2.5 cups DIY Cafe Cornbread Mix
1 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Whisk together milk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
4. Pour into a 9″ square pan or round glass pie pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Serve with butter, like it is icing. LOL